The weather is getting warmer, the sun brighter! But the question is, are you staying sun smart whilst exercising this spring?
Here are a few tips to ensure that your skin gets the protection it deserves out and about on these sunny days!
1) Avoid exercising in your lunch break! Exercise before or after work and you’ll avoid the peak UV times which are between 10am to 2pm, or 11am to 3pm during daylight saving.
2) Get into the habit of checking the UV Index online or in the paper. If it’s three or above, you need sun protection! www.bom.gov.au will give you all the info you need!
3) Wear your shades! They do more than cut down on glare- a pair of sunnies can protect your eyes from deteriorating too. Choose sunglasses that meet the Australian Standard and fix with a strap to stop them moving around.
4) Prepare your skin! You can’t outrun the sun, so apply a water-resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF30+, 20 minutes before you head outside.
Additional Tip: don’t forget your lips; protective lip balm works a treat!
5) Cover up! Long sleeves, leggings, rashies and board shorts provide the best protection. If you can’t cover up, find a shady area in which to work out.