With over 3.85 million Australian being affected every year with Arthritis, more and more sufferers are turning to natural therapies such as massage for pain relief. Below is some information as to why:
What is Arthritis?
The term Arthritis refers to a collection of musculoskeletal system conditions that affect the joints (where two or more bones meet).
The most common forms of Arthritis include:
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- GoutJuvenile arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Whilst symptoms vary between the different Arthritis types, common symptoms include:
- Joint stiffness
- Joint cartilage damage
- Joint weakness
- Joint instability
How does Massage Benefit Arthritis Symptoms?
- Massage is beneficial to Arthritis as it increases flexibility and mobility. It also decreases pain and inflammation, relieves aches and stiffness and promotes a feeling of overall relaxation.
- Massage Increases Flexibility and Mobility of Joints
- Once the inflammation has subsided, massage may help to loosed up the surrounding muscles and loosen up joints. When ligaments and muscles of non-inflammatory areas are massaged, adhesions can be broken up and joint mobility and flexibility is increased. This improves the normal range of movement and motion.
- Massage may also stretch the joints and stimulate the viscous synovial fluid found in cavities of synovial joints. After the fluid is stimulated into the joint cavity, the fluid forms a thin later, which reduces inflammation and pain by acting as a buffer of sorts.
- Massage Relieves Arthritis Pain
- Massage also stimulates the release of natural endorphins, giving the arthritis sufferer a natural high and relieving the body of any pain. Brain activity is also altered, as it increases the alpha brain waves present in a state of relaxation.
- If you are interested in finding out more on how massage may benefit Arthritis, please contact a professional massage therapist for more information.
- Massage is an enjoyable way of relieving the painful symptoms of Arthritis. It does so by relaxing the muscles, and stimulating nerve cell receptors under the skin, activating the nervous system and stimulating the release of mood-enhancing chemicals such as dopamine or serotonin. Massage also generates a calming effect through the stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system, and reduces the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline.
Contact Us today for an appointment.